Search This Blog

Saturday, April 28, 2012

April Challenge: Barn Quilt?

Seriously???!!! ;o)
YUP! That's exactly what my darling WPS (Wing Pit Sistah) Terry asked us Calendar Girls to do for this month challenge hostessed by hers truly.
Here's what she told us -in her own words- about Barn Quilts:
.
"...What is a Barn Quilt? A barn quilt is an 8 foot by 8 foot replica of a quilt block made of plywood and hung on the side of old barns here in Wisconsin.
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...750%5B1%5D-jpg
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...750%5B1%5D-jpg
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...750%5B1%5D-jpg
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...750%5B1%5D-jpg

There are hundreds throughout the state and I love seeing them up close and personal.  Above are some beautiful examples (the first picture I pass every day):
My challenge to you is to use one of the following quilt blocks to create this months card: ...."


Attached Thumbnails
8pointstar%5B1%5D-jpg quiltblocka-737555%5B1%5D-jpg star_four_patch_quilt%5B1%5D-jpg summer2006%5B1%5D-jpg

Well, truth be known I absolutly LOVED this challenge!! I made a quilt card a couple
years ago at one of stacking -up card parties I attended, and it was about time to come up with a new one...*THANK YOU Terry for the inspiration!*
I started to create my card only this morning, as Life has a way to interfear when least wanted ....then, after a few  phone calls interruptions I was finally able to resume and complete my card...and here's my take on this month's  challenge.


 
 I wanted to achieve a quilted creation using a mix of designer papers leftovers from my scrap box , but also wanted to add some dimentions to the patches as well as a solid color beside the original textured pink which -at the centre of the quilt- I replaced with a single square of floral fantasy to make the centre pop.





Here you have it! :o)
I hope you like my interpretation for Terry's challenge...can't wait to see what the rest of the Calendar Girls created !
Please check them up - their links are provided below :

April (SCS - Aprilo) April's Alley
Barb (SCS - barbaralynn) Barb's Inkin' into Retirement
Carol (SCS - momcgw) Lost in my craft room
Debbie (SCS - djones) The Ink Igloo
Jeanette (SCS - Forest Ranger) Cre8tive Play
Kelly (SCS - MiamiKel4) Sandcastle Stamper
Michelle (SCS - pattem) Ink'n General
Paola (SCS - Sama) That's Amore >>>> *you are here*
Tami (SCS - BlueInks) BlueInks Design
Terry (SCS - terry0926) It's Totally Terry

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave some comments...
♥ Blessings To You All ♥
Paola
Card Deets:
C/S : Ruby red , White, Textured Pink
D/P : recycled from my scraps' box
Ink: Ruby Red
Stamp: sentiment from Amy R stamps
Accessories:Provo Crafts' swiss dots folder, Darice's striped folder,
Spellbinders' tag, button from SU,red/white twine, Bella's baubles
Tecnique: dry embossing & quilting





















19 comments:

Terry Ladwig said...

What a pretty card WPSistah! I love all of the different papers you used to create this beauty! You are truely more daring than I am....I would not have picked the check/diamond paper. You make it look so easy!!

Thank you for enjoying the challenge I presented ☺ I am glad you liked it!! I am also glad that you are a part of my life! Big hugs to you!!!!!

paige said...

Paola, this card is fabulous! What a beautiful quilt you created on your card!

jimlynn said...

Oh so pretty!!! Looks exactly like a quilt block and I LOVE IT! So pretty.

I'd never heard of a barn quilt! Very interesting and pretty.

Lynn

dweatter said...

What a beauty! Love the reds and pinks and textures. Great idea to have the flower in the center. Wonderfully done.

Michelle said...

Great card! I love the colors and the texture. Beautiful!

Barb said...

Paola--what a great card. I love the colors and the middle is a perfect addition!

Darlene said...

Sweet P, this is a great interpretation of the challenge!! Love the crimped panel at the bottom to show off the pretty die cut for the sentiment! It's fun that you added embossed pieces to your "quilt". Love it!

MiamiKel said...

Holy challenge card, Batman! This is a stunner! Love the simple background that you chose to showcase the beautiful dsp! And the center button and small square give it such a great focal point - LOVE!

Blessigns to you, and Happy Birthday to dad - give him hugs and love and all the splendor a birthday should hold xoxo

Carol W said...

Be still my heart...what a great card. Love the colors and the color combo...Nice choice of pattern (I thought this one looked really hard). You nailed it to perfection as usual. What a beautiful creation. Love the label on the bottom along with the dry embossing and bakers twine...so many wonderful elements to take in. I am so very blessed that we are friends...what a special day it was that I joined your swap...one I'll never forget or regret...you have truly been a wonderful inspiration and special friend...mwahh...♥♥♥

Jennipher said...

What a really great card! I love the quilted look.

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love pink first off....awesome Barn Quilt card- the center flower is so pretty- and I love the sentiment panel- this card is just-beautifully done!

Laura said...

Looks awesome,Very much looks like a quilt. I love the DSP you chose. TFS

:: BlueInks :: said...

I love the colors you chose to work with! The multiple textures are just perfect. Especially, the little flower in the center with the button. Great creativity!

MiamiKel said...

Hey Sweet P! Just about to head to bed - have to be up in 4 hours! Eek! But I saw your post and wanted to tell you the SU set is When I Grow Up! It's adorable!! I'll stamp you out plenty of immies and sent 'em on up, okay? Or I can just sent you the set and you can use it til your heart desires and return it whenever you are done - cool beans? I'll 'talk" to you tomorrow, my friend! xx0

Melina said...

very, very cute! I love that design and colors :)

Cheryl said...

So pretty and creative! I love the mix of papers you used.

KER said...

very pretty...you did great

Margaret said...

Wow! What a fabulous challenge and your card is spectacular! Great color choices and the textures are just so beautiful.

Judy McMullen said...

Beautiful card, Sweet P! Love the quilt design and your colors are lovely!!